VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 4, 2009, 07:55 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Seriously, do we need all these rap albums by Exile just because they made the Intro of SF4 ?

Not really the good post, but i think we'r also getting lot of "works" albums just because there's one title composed or arranged by a "mainly VGM" artist.. ?
The database is gonna explode with non-vgm related albums..
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think I'd better prioritize that album content filter to keep people happy.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:30 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Despite having added several albums like this, I was a little hesitant too.

Personally, I think if are singles with VGM songs, I don’t see why do not add the albums of these artists with the VGM songs. I think if someone liked a song, the person may be interested for the complete album, not just the single. But if is a problem add these albums, please let me know.

In my opinion, the problem is these limited editions with DVDs. I agree that it seems redundant to add all the variants. Besides, I think we need a consensus, because I saw so many albums registered as reprints and others as separate entries.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:55 AM

I also want to know which is a parent, when both regular and limited editions are released. I saw the case where the limited edition with a DVD was registered as a child album (as an alternate print, more specifically).
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We've been putting the regular edition as the parent usually, but I know there are plenty in the database where that is reversed. This usually happens because someone adds the limited edition first, then someone comes along later and adds the regular edition as a child.

Back on topic, do these Exile albums all have a track from Street Fighter on them?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:17 AM

Thanks. I erroneously assumed the limited edition being a parent was right... I'll ask staffs to change a few of my past submissions.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I wouldn't worry too much about the past submissions, since both the regular and limited editions were released simultaneously, and it is essentially kind of arbitrary picking which one should be the parent.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor

About the main topic, I think if an album has at least a track with the participation of a musician known primarily as a composer of VGM deserves to be added. At least this is the criterion that I was considering when I added the less-known albums from Norihiko Hibino, Tappy Iwase, Hidenori Maezawa, Kimitaka Matsumae, Masato Saitoh and Hirokazu Tanaka. I'm also looking for Koichi Sugiyama's early animes and films soundtracks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
We've been putting the regular edition as the parent usually, but I know there are plenty in the database where that is reversed. This usually happens because someone adds the limited edition first, then someone comes along later and adds the regular edition as a child.
But I'm confused on how to add these limited versions, since in this thread you said it would be better to add as separate entries.
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.p...hlight=limited

Quote:
Back on topic, do these Exile albums all have a track from Street Fighter on them?
Absolutely. All the EXILE's albums that I have added contains the "The Next Door" from Street Fighter IV.

Last edited by Revoc; Dec 4, 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
But I'm confused on how to add these limited versions, since in this thread you said it would be better to add as separate entries.
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.p...hlight=limited
Well, I assumed Cedille was talking about albums where the limited edition and the regular edition are only 1 CD, but just differ in some other way like the packaging or other little bonus items. When the LE has an extra unit of media, like a DVD or another CD, then yeah they have to be separate and can't be linked.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:59 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Now I got it. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
When the LE has an extra unit of media, like a DVD or another CD, then yeah they have to be separate and can't be linked.
If so, shouldn't these albums be separately registered?
http://vgmdb.net/album/16298
http://vgmdb.net/album/15675
http://vgmdb.net/album/16484
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor

These albums too I think:
http://vgmdb.net/album/13676
http://vgmdb.net/album/6741
Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:48 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I wonder if we ought to think of a new way to denote a disc that's reprinted as part of another album...
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:21 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
I think if someone liked a song, the person may be interested for the complete album, not just the single.
But is it possible to say that a given person would be more interested in the other tracks on that particular album than any other tracks on any other album by that particular artist? I think the single is enough personally, if people want to delve further into the works of a certain (typically well-known J-Pop) artist then there are other websites for that out there
Old Dec 7, 2009, 05:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
But is it possible to say that a given person would be more interested in the other tracks on that particular album than any other tracks on any other album by that particular artist? I think the single is enough personally, if people want to delve further into the works of a certain (typically well-known J-Pop) artist then there are other websites for that out there
I agree, seanne. However, I think the issue is neither the non-VGM tracks that eventually someone may be interested, but the presence of game music on the album. In some cases, the version of the song on the album is different from the single and the game version. For example, the "Wind of Phantom" from the album TORIYAMA is an extended version. This track certainly will interest who liked it in the Suikoden V OST, even if not like the other songs on the Yuji Toriyama’s album.

In addition, there are some factors that can complicate some conclusive classification:

- Sometimes the title-track of the single isn’t exactly the song from the game, like COLORS and Komorebi in Sordino.

- Not always the song is released on a single before the album. For example, there isn’t a single from "Distant Worlds" and the song was included on the album Romeo & Juliet. Still, this album was usually catalogued in game music sites like SEMO and Squaremusic.

- It is difficult to determine the exact amount of songs for a single. The Monster ~Someday~ and The Hurricane ~Fireworks~, according to the EXILE’s website, are singles.

I think the amount of J-pop albums with VGM is short compared to all albums of VGMdb, so I don’t think there is a risk to transform the site into a J-popdb.

But while there is no better way to add these limited releases, I think I will avoid these duplicates of less relevant albums.