VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:33 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Courtesy of an anonymous member, here are shots of untouched files that you can find on GOG and Rimo's rip.
(left is gog, right is rimo's game rip)
The only difference is that they "tried" to change the URLs but failed to erase Rimo's comment.

Last edited by Myrkul; Feb 3, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:57 PM

Wow, that's pretty cheap of them. Or maybe it was a way of showing courtesy and giving the credit when the credit is due
Old Feb 4, 2012, 06:23 AM

You are assuming it is them that took the rip though, it may have been atari who gave them that rip, so they just added their 2 urls and were done with it.

Next will be Prime Blue?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 07:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, that seems like a pretty likely possibility, and was probably the easiest way to provide a soundtrack without getting someone technical involved.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:06 PM

I recently stumbled across this:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/thief_series/soundtrack

Seems that it isn't developer-specific and a general site thing. I love that GOG is trying to distribute soundtracks with their releases, but this isn't the way to do it.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:50 PM

From that thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paczyk
There seems to be a big misunderstanding here. We didn't do this on purpose ("Child of Karras" is credited in the OST) but there was a communication gap that I am trying to fix now.

I apologize for this.
Does this mean that they usually go and contact the ripper, at least? :P

Oh, well, still got to give 'em props for selling the PC version of Soul Reaver... That's hard to come by, now.

EDIT:
The issue with the "Thief" fan-made soundtrack has been resolved. They have the guy's permission (like they really needed it, in the first place :lol: ).
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Jul 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:32 PM

The issue is not whether they have the permission of the ripper. It's that they're posting fan-made soundtracks in the first place. It's problematic on so many levels: they're generating money from fan productions, they're offering releases of sometimes inferior quality/presentation, and they're providing material not provided or approved by the original publisher/composer.

These are supplements, but people expect a polished final product nonetheless. And some (myself included) have bought GOG games solely for their soundtracks on occasions. Of course, the material they use varies on a case-by-case basis -- I know some of the soundtracks are based on official albums, redbook audios, or files. But there's definitely at least some sourcing of fan-made material going on.